You are here



Students are required to meet with a CASA dean to discuss their plans as the first step in the process of withdrawing from the College. CASA will provide a form that requires signatures from the student's advisor and other offices on campus. Students who wish to withdraw from an exchange program should refer to the exchange section. Withdrawing from an exchange program after the program start and/or opening of the term is considered withdrawing from Hampshire College.

Deadlines and Fees
The enrollment notification deadline is listed each year in the academic calendar and tuition information on the Student Financial Services website.

A change of status from fully enrolled to withdrawal after the first day of classes will lead to the partial or full forfeiture of tuition, room, and board fees. Refer to the Tuition and Fees Refund Schedule for refund information. Factors determining the amount of the refund include the date of leave, the type of leave, and the financial aid status of the student. Upon withdrawal, financial aid students may have a part of their aid returned to the programs that assisted them as mandated by the federal return-of-funds formula. Returns are applied in the following order: federal student and parent loans, federal grants, college and outside grants and scholarships. Students will be responsible for a balance due created by the return-of-funds process. 

Fees associated with exchange withdrawal will be assessed per the program withdrawal and refund policy (see GEO website).

Vacating Student Rooms
See the residence life policies section.

International Students
International students (with an F-1 student visa) are required to consult with the international student advisor BEFORE filing for withdrawal with CASA, regarding visa implications of withdrawing. Without receiving timely advisement from the international student advisor, the student risks jeopardizing their student visa status and lawful presence in the U.S. The advisor is located ininternational student services, Merrill Student Life Center.

Students with Financial Aid

It is important to note, if the student withdraws from all classes in a semester and has federal financial aid, the “Return of Title IV Funds” policy applies. The same applies if a student has state funding or outside scholarships, the financial aid office is obligated to follow any state or outside aid return policy. Students receiving federal and/or state financial aid must contact the financial aid office to determine how their federal financial aid could be affected due to their withdrawal. Additionally, any refunds for tuition and fees will be reviewed and calculated by the Financial Aid Office and Student Accounts following the “Tuition and Fees Refund Schedule” policy.