You are here

Transfer Policy

 Transfer students are required to fulfill all requirements of Hampshire’s Division I, II, and III. Transfer course work completed prior to enrollment at Hampshire may be used to satisfy some of Hampshire’s graduation requirements. To be considered for transfer status, students must have been enrolled at a regionally accredited college or university on a full- or part-time basis and have completed at least 15 transferable semester credits or 23 quarter credits in a variety of academic (liberal arts and sciences) disciplines post-high school graduation prior to enrollment at Hampshire. Courses must be comparable in academic demands and disciplines to those offered at Hampshire, be graded C or better and not be recorded as high school credit except for courses completed during high school dual-enrollment programs when the student’s transfer institution has awarded them credit. Students who have completed fewer than 15 semester credits or 23 quarter credits of college work will be considered first-year entrants and should refer to the description of the first-year program which includes a policy on advanced standing for more information. Hampshire College will also transfer Advanced Placement Program (AP) exams scores of 4 or 5 and International Baccalaureate (IB) higher level exams scores of 5 or higher for up to four Division I elective requirements. Comparable international exams will be considered for transfer credit on a case by case basis.

Division I: In order for transfer students to pass (complete) Division I, eight academic courses which may include eligible exams as described above must be identified for Division I. They may all be from the student’s transcripts or may be a combination of transfer courses and Hampshire courses. Student’s transcripts are evaluated prior to their arrival to determine if they have the required number of courses to pass Division I from their transcript. Central Records will record a Division I “pass” for students who do. Students who have remaining Division I requirements will satisfy them in their first semester of enrollment at Hampshire and pass Division I by the semester’s end. Prior to arrival Central Records will establish an estimate of the number of semesters students can expect to spend at Hampshire to graduate based on the number of transfer courses that have been accepted. Unlike first year entrants. transfer students do not complete Division I portfolios or submit Division I retrospective essays. They do not take a Division I seminar and are not required to complete the CEL-1 requirement.

Division II: Like all Hampshire College students, transfer students negotiate a plan of study for Division II with their advisor. Transfer courses not used for the completion of Division I are eligible for inclusion in Division II with approval of Division II committees. Please see the section concerning requirements and procedures for filing Division II. When determining whether a student's Division II is ready to be passed, the faculty committee takes into consideration: whether the student has met the goals set out in the contract; the number and type of courses and other learning activities in the portfolio and whether they form a comprehensive body of work; the student’s proficiency with writing and other modes of expression and presentation; and the student’s readiness, in terms of requisite knowledge and skills, to embark on the proposed Division III project. Transfer students are required to complete the CEL-2 (Community Engagement and Learning) requirement, the Race and Power requirement as well as a supported project during Division II.

Division III: Transfer students follow the Division III policy guidelines. Transfer work does not apply to Division III.

Mass Transfer Agreement: Courses transfer under this agreement in a block for students who have earned an associates degree in Massachusetts. The expectation is that students will complete their education at Hampshire in two years (two semesters in Division II and two semesters in Division III) though students may take additional time to complete.

NOTE: Students receiving financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid Office regarding the number of semesters of financial aid eligibility.