You are here

Student Insurance


The following information is provided to let students know about the insurance coverage that the College may purchase and how the coverage may apply to students, as well as to advise students of insurance that they may wish to purchase. The descriptions of coverage are not intended to, nor do they supplement, amend or modify any insurance policy terms and conditions. The College reserves the right at all times to modify its insurance coverage, terms, conditions, and limits without notice to any person or entity, including students, faculty, and staff. Students may want to make adjustments in their own coverage if they feel that it would be appropriate to their interests.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all students carry health insurance while attending College. The College provides a student health insurance plan that meets or exceeds the state requirements. The program is a “hard waiver” program, which means that students are automatically enrolled and billed for the student health insurance plan unless they waive the coverage in accordance with the plan requirements. For details of Hampshire College’s program, visit the student health insurance website.

Student health insurance is now comparable to most employer type health insurance programs. Nevertheless, the policy conditions, including co-pays and deductibles may result in a student incurring charges for some medical care. The College is not responsible for any deductibles, co-payments, medical, dental, or surgical expenses not covered or limited by the College’s student health insurance plan or any deductibles, co-payments, medical, dental or surgical expenses not covered or limited by the student’s own insurance plan.

Intercollegiate and Club Sports
Intercollegiate and club sports athletes have additional benefits available under certain policies that are purchased for their behalf by the College. Coverage applies to athletes who are injured while in organized competition or practice, which is constructively supervised, or traveling to or from one of these events. The sports accident policy provides up to $25,000.00 for intercollegiate and club sport injuries, and has a $500.00 deductible. If you are not enrolled in the student health insurance plan you are responsible for meeting the deductible either with your own insurance or out of pocket. (The student health insurance plan provides coverage for intercollegiate sports injuries or covers club sports as “any condition” subject to policy limits, terms, and conditions.)

Since Hampshire is not an NCAA member, the College also carries an intercollegiate sports catastrophic policy on all of its athletic teams that has a $25,000 deductible and a policy limit of $5,000,000 for medical expenses only, in excess of all other collectible insurance. In addition, Hampshire also carries a club sports catastrophic policy with the same benefits. The benefits of all of these policies are over and above benefits available through any other valid and collectible insurance available to the injured person. Associate Director of OPRA, Amanda Surgen administers these insurance policies. These policies do not extend to participants in intramural or any other recreational sports. They cover intercollegiate and College-recognized club sports only.

The College accepts no responsibility for any losses, costs, or expenses not covered by the insurance policies listed above, whether by coverage terms or exclusions or the injured student’s failure to comply with policy-required claims procedures.

Travel Accident
The College provides limited travel accident insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation to students traveling on College or academic business, worldwide. Worldwide travel assistance services are also available. Contact the global education office for details or review travel accident and assistance coverage.

Hampshire College purchases auto liability insurance that protects both the College and the driver from third-party liability claims and third-party property damage claims arising from the use of College-owned, -hired/rented and non-owned vehicles when driven on College business.

A. For College-owned vehicles, the student driver must be credentialed as a defensive driver. Please read about procedures for claims and other rules for use of College-owned vehicles.

B. To rent a vehicle or to drive a rented vehicle for College business, the student must have advance written authorization from an authorized person (faculty member, dean, coach or department head), be a College-certified defensive driver and a scheduled driver with the rental company. Most car rental agencies prohibit persons under the age of 25 from driving rented vehicles. The College policy is to waive coverage for liability and collision coverage on domestic rentals; however, students should follow departmental guidelines with respect to waiving the rental company insurance. If the College insurance is used, a certificate of insurance should be obtained as proof of insurance. Students must make the request through the office of risk management.

C. If a student drives their own vehicle on College business, such use must be specifically authorized in writing, before the use occurs, by an authorized person (see B, above). The College policy is in excess of the student’s own policy with respect to liability coverage. No coverage is provided for any physical damage to the student’s vehicle, nor will any deductible amount be paid by the College, whether the vehicle is used for College business or not and regardless of any liability of the driver or other parties. The College assumes no obligation to provide transportation to any College program, and it is the general policy that student use of personal transportation is for the personal pleasure and convenience of the student. Massachusetts requires insurance on all vehicles registered in the state.

The College auto insurance policy may not respond to cover unauthorized drivers. Unauthorized drivers may be personally liable for claims brought against them. The College may also have a right to claim against unauthorized drivers.

Departments are responsible for credentialing drivers. Students must complete the online credentialing application, indicating their experience and agreement to college rules. Driving College vehicles is a privilege, not a right, and the college has the right to withdraw the privilege or make a referral to the formal conduct process for failure to follow the rules or for any at-fault accident.

Personal Vehicles on Campus
The College is not responsible for, nor will it pay any claims for, damages to student-owned vehicles resulting from falling ice, snow, tree limbs or any other natural occurrence or event on its property or elsewhere, whether the possibility of such an event is warned against or not. The College is not responsible for nor will it pay any losses, claims or damages to student-owned vehicles resulting from vandalism, collision or other acts by any person, other than damage caused directly by its employees.

The College does not have property insurance for student possessions, and it accepts no responsibility for any personal possessions or property of students. Any possessions in student rooms or left in storage areas are left at the owner’s own risk. It is recommended that students keep their doors locked at all times and not leave valuable items in storage areas. Students are responsible for insuring their own property against loss, and may be able to do so using family policies or by obtaining a tenant’s policy through a local insurance agent. Students may also wish to consider purchasing student property insurance through URMIA.

The College is not liable for the actions of its students, nor is it possible for the College to obtain liability insurance on behalf of its students. Student athletes especially should be aware that if they are sued for injuries or damages caused to others in the course of an athletic event, Hampshire’s insurance does not provide coverage. The liability section of your family's homeowner’s policy or renter’s policy may provide for the defense of the student and damages awarded, if any, in a suit alleging negligence. Students are responsible for avoiding intentional acts or negligent behavior that could harm others or give rise to adverse legal action. Although the College will not provide liability protection, it may, at its discretion, assist in obtaining a defense if it is not provided for by family insurance coverage.

If a student is sued for an act or omission and believes that they were acting in the capacity of an employee or agent of the College at the time of such act or omission, the student should contact the dean of students office immediately for instructions.

Workers’ Compensation
Students who are employed by the College, and who are injured in the course of their work for the College, are eligible for Workers’ Compensation. If a student is injured on the job, the student should contact their supervisor immediately to report the injury and complete an accident investigation form. Questions should be directed to the student’s supervisor and the human resources office.