You are here

Resolution of Conflict and Appeals for Service or Emotional Support Animals


Conflicting Disabilities
Students who have asthma, allergies, or other medical conditions affected by the presence of animals are asked to contact the office of accessibility resources and services (OARS) to pursue the formal disclosure process for equitable consideration of individual need for accommodation and resolution of any conflict that may arise. Faculty and staff should pursue the HR disclosure process. The person impacted by the presence of the animal must provide verifiable medical documentation to support their claim.  The needs of both persons will be considered in resolving the issue in the most equitable way possible, given the timeframe and other extenuating circumstances of the individual case.

Animal handlers are strongly encouraged to be proactive in disclosing their need for the presence of an animal in line with expectations outlined in the student responsibility policy for animal handlers.

Removal of an Emotional Support or Service Animal from College Facilities or Programs
An animal that is determined to be out of control may be excluded from a College program or facility. This may include, but is not limited to:

  • Vicious behavior
  • Disruptions (e.g., barking, running around, nipping, bringing attention to itself)
  • Not being housebroken
  • Not cleaning up after or properly disposing of animal's waste
  • Being insufficiently cleaned or groomed (e.g., the animal smells or has fleas or ticks)
  • Not being appropriately restrained

Reported behavior will be treated on an individual basis through the dean of students office with support or input as appropriate from the housing operations office, dean of students office, campus police, office of accessibility resources and services or other offices. If the animal poses a threat to the safety of others, campus police will be part of a collaborative team to determine the outcome of the behavior. Consequences may include, but are not limited to, muzzling a barking dog, required training for the animal and student, or exclusion of the animal from College facilities entirely.

If the student or any other person brings an animal to areas of campus where the animal is not permitted* (see student responsibilities policy), the College/any employee may require that the animal be removed from the facility or area and returned to the student’s room. Failure to comply with this request may result in permanent removal of the animal from the College.

*It is strongly encouraged that any student with a service animal designates that animal as such when in any public setting to avoid confusion or misunderstanding on the part of other community members. Even with such designation, service animals may be asked to be removed from a facility if they do not adhere to behavioral expectations outlined below.

In the event that an animal is excluded from College facilities or programs in accordance with applicable FHA regulations and the student wishes to bring a new animal to campus, the student must comply with all documentation requirements for the new animal.

If an animal handler exhibits irresponsible behavior and does not abide expectations for student responsibility, they may not be allowed to have another animal for a determined time and/or may be expected to demonstrate completion of handler training. If such an occasion arises, the student is encouraged to work with relevant support services on campus to seek alternative means of accessibility and/or accommodation support in the absence of an animal.

Grievance and Appeals
Prior to filing a grievance, a complaint may be brought to the director of Accessibility Resources and Services/Section 504 Coordinator for informal resolution. 

Any student dissatisfied with a decision concerning the use of an animal on campus shall be entitled to bring a grievance under the grievance procedures for students. Any claims of discrimination on the basis of a disability or failure to provide reasonable accommodations regarding the use of a service animal on campus may be brought pursuant to the College’s grievance policies