You are here

Use of College Vehicles and Insurance

Use of College Vehicles
College vehicles are not available for personal use. “Pool vehicles” are available for College business and College-approved student activities. Student groups must contact the campus leadership and activities office. For offices and departments, the office or department budget manager or their designated assistant makes the reservation. A vehicle request can be made three days or more in advance.

Members of the College community who want to be eligible to operate a College vehicle must fill out an online application form, attend a defensive driver class, and have a clean driving record. Annual credential forms must be filled out via an online form through Five College risk management . This form is for insurance purposes only and has to be completed by everyone who will drive a College-owned vehicle or drive a personal vehicle on College business.

All drivers of College-owned vehicles, or vehicles driven on College business, are expected to follow the rules in the fleet vehicle handbook and to abide by all campus regulations and all local, state, and federal laws.

Travel Accident Insurance
The College provides limited travel accident insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation to students traveling on College or academic business, worldwide. Worldwide travel assistance services are also available. Contact the dean of students office for details or see the Five Colleges Inc. website.

The College purchases auto liability insurance, which protects both the College and the driver from third-party liability and third-party property damage arising from the use of College-owned, hired/rented, and non-owned vehicles. The Five College risk management website has more detailed information on this coverage. 

  • For College-owned vehicles, the student driver must be credentialed and have permission from a faculty member, a dean, a coach, or a department head to drive a College vehicle. For details on becoming a credentialed driver, visit Five College risk management policies.
  • To rent or drive a rented vehicle for College business, the student must be credentialed and have written authorization from an authorized person (see owned vehicles, below) and be a scheduled driver with the rental company. Most car rental agencies prohibit persons under the age of 25 from driving rented vehicles. The College policy is to waive coverage for liability and collision coverage on domestic rentals; however, students should follow departmental guidelines with respect to waiving the rental company insurance. If the College insurance is used, a certificate of insurance should be obtained as proof of insurance.
  • If a student drives their own vehicle on College business, such use must be specifically authorized in writing by the department head or chair before the use occurs. The College policy is excess of the student’s own policy with respect to liability coverage. No coverage is provided for any physical damage to the student’s vehicle, nor will any deductible amount be paid by the College, whether or not the vehicle is used for College business, and regardless of any liability of the driver or other parties. 
  • Use of borrowed vehicles for College business must be approved before such use by the Five College director of compliance and risk management.

The College auto insurance policy may not cover unauthorized drivers. Unauthorized drivers may be personally liable for claims brought against them. The College may also have a right to claim against unauthorized drivers.

Weather Conditions
Trips may be canceled due to adverse weather conditions. The on-duty campus police supervisor has the authority to not allow vehicles to be used due to the adverse weather conditions. The on-duty supervisor will utilize all available information (including but not limited to weather advisories, radio, TV, internet, etc.) to assist in determining the advisability of allowing vehicles to leave the campus. As a general rule, the College will cancel trips in order to protect faculty, staff and students that may be using College vehicles. As a matter of policy, the College expects drivers to interrupt their trips when weather conditions deteriorate, find a safe place to wait, and to resume the trip once the weather improves.

OPRA Van Use
OPRA vans are only for the use of College staff for the purpose of transportation to OPRA programs, courses, and events.

  1. OPRA does not lend or rent vans.
  2. Smoking, drinking alcohol, and using illegal drugs are prohibited in OPRA vans.
  3. The transportation of alcohol or illegal drugs in OPRA vans is prohibited.