While Hampshire College is primarily a residential college, some years we are unable to house all students on campus. During those times, all first- and second-year students are guaranteed on-campus housing, if they desire. A process of students voluntarily requesting off-campus will be implemented in an attempt to meet the College’s housing needs.
In years when a housing shortage is not predicted, students will be required to live on campus except for those meeting the following criteria:
- Students 25 years of age or older.
- Students who live with a parent or legal guardian within 30 miles of campus.
- Students who are married (non-legal deﬁnitions may be considered) must live off-campus, as there are no provisions for dependents to live on campus.
- Students who have legal dependents living with them must live off campus, as there are no provisions for dependents to live on campus.
- Students under 16 years of age as of September 1 of their entering year (or February 1 if a spring entrant) are not eligible to live on campus until they reach the age of 16. It is recommended that these students live off campus with a parent or legal guardian.
- If a student falls into one of the above categories, they must notify the assistant director of residence life well before the housing process.
Students seeking off campus housing accommodations due to psychological, physical, or learning disabilities must seek support through our disability coordinator, who can recommend a housing exemption.
Students who are granted off-campus status will retain that status for the remainder of their time at the College. Students who wish to return to campus housing must contact the assistant director of residence life. The number of vacant rooms and the timing of the request will have an impact on how quickly students may be returned to campus housing. Every effort will be made to expedite the request. For emergency purposes, all off-campus students are required to provide the College with their current local address and telephone number each semester. This information is made available to Hampshire staff and faculty.