You are here

Off Campus Housing


While Hampshire College is primarily a residential college, some years we are unable to house all students on campus. During those times, all first- and second-year students are guaranteed on-campus housing, if they desire. A process of students voluntarily requesting off-campus will be implemented in an attempt to meet the College’s housing needs.

In years when a housing shortage is not predicted, students will be required to live on campus.

Students meeting the following criteria are exempt from living in college housing if they apply and are approved:

  • Students 25 years of age or older.
  • Students who live with an immediate family member or legal guardian within 30 miles of campus.
  • Students who are married (non-legal definitions may be considered) must live off-campus, as there are no provisions for dependents to live on campus.
  • Students who have legal dependents living with them must live off campus, as there are no provisions for dependents to live on campus.
  • Students under 17 years of age as of September 1 of their entering year (or February 1 if a spring entrant) are not eligible to live on campus until they reach the age of 17. It is recommended that these students live off campus with a parent or legal guardian.
  • If a student falls into one of the above categories, they must notify the senior director of residence life well before the room selection process. 

Students who are granted off-campus status will retain that status for the remainder of their time at the College. Students who wish to return to campus housing must contact Residence Life. The number of vacant rooms and the timing of the request will have an impact on how quickly students may be returned to campus housing. Every effort will be made to expedite the request. For emergency purposes, all off-campus students are required to provide the College with their current local address and telephone number each semester. This information is made available to Hampshire staff and faculty. 

Disability-related Accommodation

Students seeking off campus housing status as an accommodation due to psychological, physical, or learning disabilities, who do not otherwise qualify for release through the general process, may request a release from the on-campus requirement as an accommodation through the housing-based accommodation request process.

Students who wish to return to campus housing and would be in need of an on campus housing based accommodation should also pursue the housing-based accommodation request process once they have been in contact with the Residence Life staff to begin the return process.