Vacating Student Rooms
It is strongly advised that a student vacating a residence hall or apartment/mod for any reason—including but not limited to withdrawal from the College, moving to a different residence hall or apartment/mod, or vacating their room at the end of a semester—have the room formally checked by a member of the residence life and housing staff. Keys must be returned by the date a student officially changes their enrollment status or becomes less than fully enrolled (NOTE: some deadlines result in specific refunds) or within 48 hours of receiving keys to a new room.
Students who go on medical leave must vacate their on campus rooms within 48 hours after the date on which the leave is granted, as approved by health and counseling services or student life personnel. All residential keys must be returned to the Housing Operations Office upon a student’s departure. Failure to comply with this policy may result in additional charges commensurate with the amount of time a student has taken to vacate their room or to make arrangements with the housing operations office to have articles removed.
Opening and Closing of Residences
- A student may not be admitted to or leave luggage in a residence before the ofﬁcial opening date in the fall without obtaining prior approval from the housing operations ofﬁce. Approval for early arrival will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The usual exception is 24 hours with a maximum of 48 hours. Students approved for early arrival will be billed $100 per day they are on campus prior to their ofﬁcial start date.
- All residence areas are closed during the winter break and occupancy is prohibited. Facilities and grounds and residence life staff will enter each room during this period to turn down heat, monitor ﬁre safety compliance, and secure all areas.
- All students must vacate their rooms by the end of Hampshire’s examination period at the end of fall semester and by 10 a.m. on the day after commencement in the spring semester.
- Arriving before the designated arrival time and failing to leave by the designated departure time may result in referral to the Formal Conduct Process and a resulting sanction including but not limited to a signiﬁcant ﬁne, commensurate with the amount of time a student has been on campus when they should not have been.
- Those students who have exams scheduled at one of the other Five Colleges after Hampshire College’s closing date must seek permission from the housing operations staff, by the posted deadline, to remain in Hampshire’s College's residences. In those cases in which permission is granted, students must leave on the day their exam is scheduled. In cases of self-scheduled and take-home exams at other institutions, Hampshire students may be required to vacate their rooms before the deadline given by Five College faculty. For exact deadlines, students should consult notices distributed by the Housing Operations Ofﬁce as the end of the term approaches.